Unless you have been living under a rock, you probably saw Girl Talk released his latest album All Day for free on the internetz. Get Girl Talk – All Day at Illegal Art’s site either tracked out or as a seamless mp3 file (as intended, but if you are intelligent enough to listen to it in order on your iPod, tracked out will be fine).
I’ve only listened to it one and a half times, but here are eleven thoughts:
1) I like the longer samples Gregg promised. It feels more like an album that the ADD frenzy most mash-up/music collage artists put out (but I still enjoy those obviously)
2) There are always a few “did he just do that” moments on Girl Talk records. The Beyonce’ “Single Ladies” to M.O.P.’s “Ante Up” to Miley Cyrus is pretty priceless on “That’s Right”. Right now I’m leaning towards Ludacris’ “How Low” with Phoenix’s “1901” on “Triple Double”
3) Wiz Khalifa’s “Black & Yellow” + Rolling Stones’ “Paint It Black” = simple, yet genius
4) Girl Talk is still a master at utilizing classic rock/’80s samples that most wouldn’t immediately think to use. General Public’s “Tenderness” and ELO’s “Mr Blue Sky” are used to perfection on “Let It Out”, elsewhere Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” is amazing on “Thats Right”
5) Who says mash-ups don’t turn people on to new artists? I need someone to give me a tutorial on Aphex Twin ASAP
6) The Foxy Brown and Lil Kim samples are much more appreciated than Nicki Minaj
7) I always pegged Mr. Gillis as more of a Biggie fan than a 2Pac fan and that continues with 2 B.I.G. samples on All Day, but at least “How Do U Want” it pops in for a quick second
8 ) Some of this material was used during GT’s Hangout Fest set and I was immediately transported back to that beach. I want to go back….now.
9) As always, Wikipedia has all of the sample from All Day. Jaw dropping per the usual.
10) I’ll probably always list Night Ripper as my favorite, but All Day adds to the already strong Girl Talk discography
11) Not sure you could have a better closer than “Imagine”. Good choice.
Girl Talk – That’s Right
Girl Talk – Triple Double
Also, do you think he unleashed the album to the public for free because:
A) he loves his fans
B) those Beatles samples will have the lawyers calling
C) to cover the $10 bump in concert ticket prices
D) All of the above
Its probably a mixture of all three. There was some initial disdain from some about his tour (dates listed here) being pricier than previous outings, but I feel like its justified. There is no “pay what you want” option for All Day (I donated $10 for Feed The Animals) and Mr. Gillis will be performing at larger venues than previous tours. The album took two and a half years for gods sakes. So if you catch him in your city, just chalk up the extra cost in knowing that you got his album for free.