Its my favorite time of the year musically: year end wrap-up time. I get to review all of the great music of 2014 by recounting favorites, catching up on what I missed and sharing what I believe to be the best. We’ll start today with my top remixes of the year and eventually get to top tracks and albums of 2014. Look out for a top 50 remixes mixtape (+DJ mix!), top 50 tracks mixtape, plus a Spotify playlist of my top 20 albums. Here.We.Go.
Remixes were a huge part of my 2014 and Remix Friday was more popular than ever. I can’t say I heard every remix released in 2014, but I feel I’m well qualified to narrow the many favorites down to 50. Remixes #50-42 were full of the variety of sounds that made 2014 so dance-able: mash-ups (The Hood Internet, bvnny), tropical house fusions (Matoma), pop reworkings (RAC, Elephante, Viceroy) and downtempo rhythms (Jean Tonique, Louis Futon). The Chainsmokers’ take on Josef Salvat’s endearing “Open Season” falls into the downtempo category and showed the growth of the already big-time NYC producers. Alex & Drew’s step away from big room sounds was a worthwhile experiment and ranks as one of my favorites from their early career.
42. The Hood Internet – Yeah, I’m Awake (Girl Talk x Freeway x Tycho x Com Truise)
43. Bleachers – I Wanna Get Better (RAC mix)
44. Kyogi – Not Good Enough (Jean Tonique remix)
45. Josef Salvat – Open Season (The Chainsmokers remix)
46. Penguin Prison-Calling Out (Elephante remix)
47. RAC – Cheap Sunglasses ft Matthew Koma (Viceroy Remix)
48. Logic – Break It Down ft Jhene Aiko (Louis Futon remix)
49. 2Pac & The Notorious B.I.G. – Hold On Be Strong (Matoma remix)
50. bvnny – Waited 4 Blood (ODESZA x Taylor Swift x Tyga)