If there had to be a theme for this latest mixtape, it would most likely be mistaken identity. All over the board, artists sound like someone else. Editors got all synth-tastic on their lead single “Papillion”, reminiscent of the Killers. Sea Wolf went with dark and epic, like Win Butler & Arcade Fire with “Wicked Blood”. Jim Jones apparently can rap as long as hes with The Black Keys on “Hoochie Coo”. Vampire Weekend must enjoy the Lion King based on “Horchata”. Kings of Convenience take a page out of Simon and Garfunkel’s book. And finally, Taken By Trees sounds like Animal Collective on “My Boys”(its a cover, but still).
These are all good things, BTW.
Probably my favorite track this go ’round is “Embers” by Just Jack. The song immediately caught my ear with symphony-like strings, but continued with angst filled lyrics and handclaps aplenty.
Leave comments at the new and improved JayeL Audio (https://jayelaudio.com). Be sure to add the album art to your iTunes as well. More great work by Logan Groulx.
JayeL Audio – 10-06-09: http://www.sendspace.com/file/8lw5pm
1. Chromeo – Night By Night
2. Yukon Blonde – Street
3. Just Jack – Embers
4. Desktop – My Boo (Ghost Town DJs cover)
5. The Black Keys – Hoochie Coo ft Mos Def and Jim Jones
6. Sea Wolf – Wicked Blood
7. Free Energy – Something In Common
8. Mass Fiction – Bad Form
9. Basia Bulat – Gold Rush
10. The XX – Shelter (Them Jeans Drum Edit)
11. The Raveonettes – Last Dance
12. U.S.E. – K.I.S.S.I.N.G.
13 Kings of Convenience – Boat Behind
14. Lissy Trullie – Ready For The Floor (Hot Chip cover)
15. Basement Jaxx – My Turn ft Lightspeed Champion
16. Taken By Trees – My Boys
17. The Babies – Meet Me In The City
18. Julian Casablancas – 11th Dimension
19. Vampire Weekend – Horchata
20. Editors – Papillion
21. Burns – Heartbeats (Radio Edit)