Before I get into what will definitely be the most frivolous piece of media you’ll encounter today, a few words on the current state of life. Clearly, the crisis we’re living in is unprecedented for any person of any generation alive today. People are in pain physically, emotionally, fiscally, and beyond. These events will be scars that anyone that lives through it will wear and remember forever in waves. I am not the person that can write anything about those subjects that is substantive or unique. What I can offer is the vessel through which I’m coping, and though very cliche, I’m sure I’m not the only one surviving via music. Of course, spending valuable time with my wife and pup, communicating virtually with family and friends, and not taking for granted a relatively mild Michigan spring have been helpful. But music has been my escape that has provided me new energy and hope each day.
I’m hopeful this two hour collection of music that I’ve enjoyed over the past 2-3 months will be your escape as well. I think we’ve all balanced a number of moods depending on the time of day over these past few weeks, so you may find those same moods present in this mixtape:
- Sunny anthems to kick start the day (HAIM, Glass Animals)
- Danceable and funky rhythms to push through a Tuesday that really feels like it should be Friday (Disclosure, The Mauskovic Dance Band, Sure Sure, Tame Impala)
- Beach ready tunes for that trip to Hawaii you were supposed to go on (Tennis, Empress Of, Girl Ray)
- Unabashed pop songs you’re no longer embarrassed to sing (Dua Lipa, Elle Goulding, CHIKA)
- Alt country/folk records that remind you of tailgates and summer beaches (Michigan Rattlers, Nathaniel Rateliff, The Secret Sisters)
- And even some just melancholy indie gems that actually do fit the mood when its stupidly snowing for two hours in April (Kevin Krauter, Alexandra Savior).
- Oh, I almost forgot about those weird lyrics you’ve been singing around the house that don’t make sense, but somehow Thundercat turned into a hit on “Dragonball Durag”. Just me? OK. Fine.
JayeL Audio 4-10-20: STREAM (Spotify)
1.HAIM – The Steps
2.The Undercover Dream Lovers – You Don’t Have to be Lonely
3.Glass Animals – Your Love (Déjà Vu)
4.Disclosure – Tondo
5.The Mauskovic Dance Band – Ventura Phase
6.Girl Ray – Girl
7.Tennis – Tender as a Tomb
8.Sure Sure – Funky Galileo
9.Tame Impala – Is It True
10.Little Dragon – Are You Feeling Sad?
11.Thundercat – Dragonball Durag
12.Kito – Alone With You (feat. AlunaGeorge)
13.Empress Of – Give Me Another Chance
14.Ellie Goulding – Worry About Me (feat. blackbear)
15.The Weeknd – In Your Eyes
16.CHIKA – CROWN
17.Dua Lipa – Levitating
18.Childish Gambino – 35.31
19.Phantogram – Dear God
20.Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever – Cars in Space
21.Best Coast – Master Of My Own Mind
22.Sarah Harmer – New Low
23.Michigan Rattlers – Desert Heat
24.Waxahatchee – Lilacs
25.Margo Price – Twinkle Twinkle
26.The Secret Sisters – Silver
27.Andy Shauf – Try Again
28.Nathaniel Rateliff – Expecting To Lose
29.Wallows – OK
30.Peter Bjorn and John – Out of Nowhere
31.JR JR – Good Old Days
32.STRFKR – Budapest (feat. Shy Boys)
33.Kevin Krauter – Patience
34.Alexandra Savior – Howl
35.Mapei – Swim
If you enjoy any of these tracks, I’d highly recommend buying a record (or any merch), donating to an artist’s live stream fund, or sharing with a friend. We’ll need music long after this event ends.
Stay safe, stay home, stay happy.